James Bowie School District was a result of the consolidation of five smaller schools in southwestern Bowie County. At the time the consolidation occurred, the district was known as the Simms Consolidated School District. The land for the school was donated by the Simms Brothers, J. H. (Harv) and Lem. Construction on the main building, which now serves as the Middle School, began in 1935. The construction of the main building was done by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), an organization funded by the Federal Government in the 1930's under President Franklin Roosevelt. It was built with native stone from the Simms Estate located near the school's location. The building was completed late in 1935. In 1937-38, the first gym was built and the houses and the water tower were also completed. The houses located on the campus were an added attraction for the school when hiring teachers. The gym was one of the first high school gyms in Bowie County. It was destroyed by fire in 1970. The first seven students graduated from James Bowie were in 1937. At the beginning of the 1936-37 school year, the district was still called Simms, however, shortly after that, Mr. Harv Simms requested that the district name be changed to James Bowie in honor of the Texas Revolution hero.
Synopsis of J. B.